Followers

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

MIKE PORTNOY: I See Sensational Headlines On Certain Web Sites That Misrepresent What I'm Doing


Drummer Mike Portnoy spoke to AOL's Noisecreep earlier this week about his roller coaster life in the nine months since he left DREAM THEATER, the band he co-founded and led for 25 years.

"The thing that breaks my heart," stated Portnoy, "is that some of the fans rely more on what's reported about me than what I'm actually saying at the moment. I see all these sensational headlines on certain web sites that misrepresent what I'm doing, and there are fans that react to that without knowing the real truth. I always try to offer sincere, heartfelt explanations through social media sites, and sometimes that gets lost.

"This past year for me featured the highest highs and some of the lowest lows. I mean, after spending 25 years in DREAM THEATER, something I'll never be more proud of, and then the experience [recording and touring] with AVENGED [SEVENFOLD], it's been some pretty extreme emotional stuff."

Portnoy is currently playing in a new band called ADRENALINE MOB alongside SYMPHONY X frontman Russell Allen, guitar virtuoso Mike Orlando (SONIC STOMP), bassist Paul DiLeo and STUCK MOJO/FOZZY axeman Rich Ward. The group made its live debut last Friday, June 24 at the Hiro Ballroom in New York City and is presently seeking a suitable record label to release its already completed debut album.

"[My wife has] heard pretty much everything I've ever done and she says [ADRENALINE MOB] is her favorite stuff," Portnoy told Noisecreep. "That means something to me."

"I'm energized," he added. "Playing in AVENGED SEVENFOLD the last year gave me this taste of sort of recapturing my youth, making me feel like a teenager a bit. With ADRENALINE MOB, that feeling is full force now, and I've never felt better about where I am musically."


SOURCE: RNR

No comments: