Followers

Friday, May 18, 2012

DREAM THEATER Guitarist To Guest On New PERIPHERY Album


 
Guitarist John Petrucci of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER has contributed a guest guitar solo to the forthcoming sophomore
full-length album from the Maryland-based experimental, progressive
metallers PERIPHERY. According to an advertisement in the latest issue of Revolver magazine (see below), the CD is scheduled for a July 3 release via Sumerian Records.

PERIPHERY supported DREAM THEATER for two U.S. shows last October and a full-length European tour in January and February.

In a September 2011 interview with Metal Assault, PERIPHERY guitarist Misha Mansoor stated about Petrucci, "John Petrucci is the reason why I have a seven-string. John Petrucci is who I wanted to be when I started taking guitar seriously. I learned all the songs off [1999's] 'Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory' and played them horribly. But it really challenged me and showed me… I wanted to be him… I wanted to be John Petrucci so badly. I didn't even wanna be like him; I just wanted to be him. And I figured if I learned every song and solo, I'd get in his head and figure out how he wrote the amazing parts that he did and I'd understand how to be a better musician. I kind of
got over that eventually when I realized I just didn't have the
technical prowess to pull that off. But it definitely made a very big
mark on me in many ways — in his approach to lead playing and
arrangements and songwriting, in riff writing… everything. He's just
such a balanced player and such a huge influence to me."

Bassist Tom Murphy last year announced his departure from PERIPHERY "to pursue something new." Adam "Nolly" Getgood of RED SEAS FIRE has been filling in on bass while Mark Holcomb took up his position as the full-time guitarist on the band's most recent tour.

No comments: