Followers

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

MIKE PORTNOY Says His Latest DREAM THEATER Comments Were 'Taken Completely Out Of Context'



 
Drummer Mike Portnoy says that his latest comments about his former band, DREAM THEATER, were "taken completely out of context" and he claims that he is "completely focused" on his present project, THE WINERY DOGS, "for the future."

On July 30, Portnoy was interviewed by Chile's Radio Futuro prior to THE WINERY DOGS' July 30 concert in Santiago.

Asked what his relationship with his former bandmates in DREAM THEATER is like today and what he thought of the band's last studo album, Portnoy replied: "If you wanna talk about DREAM THEATER for the 25 years I was there, then sure, but I'm not gonna talk about DREAM THEATER now, 'cause people get too uptight about it, so… If you wanna talk about the other 25 years, sure, but [laughs] I'm not gonna talk about them and what they do now without me; I'm here to talk about what I'm doing."

Mike was also asked whether he would one day be willing to reunite with DREAM THEATER and rejoin the band as their drummer. "Sure," he replied. "I would do
it in a heartbeat. They are the ones that have closed the door on it.
I've only needed a break, and I've had that break. So I'm ready, willing and able. But I honestly don't think they ever will; they've closed
their door on it and I think they're too headstrong in having to prove
themselves without me. So I wouldn't count on it. But my door is always
open."

In a new posting on his official Facebook page, Portnoy wrote: "Here's the full interview that this silly latest DREAM THEATER headline came from... As you'll hear, the blurb making the Internet
rounds is being taken completely out of context from when the
interviewer ASKED ME about the possibility of reuniting with DREAM THEATER.

"For the record, I am VERY happy where I'm at and am completely focused on THE WINERY DOGS for the future. It was just a silly hypothetical question the
interviewer ASKED ME. And now you know why I don't like to discuss DREAM THEATER in interviews!! Hahaha..."

Portnoy, who co-founded DREAM THEATER more than 27 years ago, abruptly quit the band in September 2010 while on tour with AVENGED SEVENFOLD. He has since been replaced by Mike Mangini (ANNIHILATOR, EXTREME, JAMES LABRIE, STEVE VAI).

Portnoy played on AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare", following the death of that band's drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, and toured with them for the entire second half of 2010.

Portnoy announced his departure from ADRENALINE MOB in June due to "scheduling conflicts." A replacement drummer has not yet been announced.

No comments: