"Live In Tokyo" was filmed/recorded on November 14, 2012 at Zepp Tokyo. This 95-minute concert is the first release of material from the PSMS supergroup, and it showcases a wide range of instrumental performances
from each of the members' careers and collaborations (moved up from a
later paragraph). Wider fanbases of DREAM THEATER, MR. BIG and BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION will definitely stand up and take notice.
Drummer Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, THE WINERY DOGS, TRANSATLANTIC), bassist Billy Sheehan (TALAS, MR. BIG, DAVID LEE ROTH), guitarist Tony MacAlpine and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, DREAM THEATER, BILLY IDOL) brought their collective strengths to Japan this past fall. The result
was a 16-track deep cornucopia of the members' individual highlights.
The group unleashed a fierce storm of sonic musicianship on songs such
as "Shy Boy" from Sheehan's band TALAS, MacAlpine's "The Stranger", Sherinian's "Apocalypse 1470 B.C." and DREAM THEATER's "A Change Of Seasons: The Crimson Sunrise". The DVD and Blu-ray also offer an exclusive peek at this production with a behind-the-scenes featurette.
"Live In Tokyo" track listing:
01. A Change Of Seasons: I The Crimson Sunrise (DREAM THEATER song)
02. Acid Rain (LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT song)
03. The Stranger (TONY MACALPINE song)
04. Stratus (BILLY COBHAM song)
05. Atlantis, Part 1: Apocalypse 1470 B.C. (DEREK SHERINIAN song)
06. Tony MacAlpine Guitar Solo
07. Been Here Before (DEREK SHERINIAN song)
08. Birds of Prey (Billy's Boogie) / Billy Sheehan solo
09. The Farandole (TALAS song)
10. The Pump (JEFF BECK song)
11. Mike Portnoy Drum Intro
12. Nightmare Cinema (DEREK SHERINIAN song)
13. Hell's Kitchen (DREAM THEATER song)
14. Derek Sherinian Keyboard Solo
15. Lines In The Sand (DREAM THEATER song) (abridged)
16. Shy Boy (TALAS song) (Billy Sheehan on lead vocals)
A performance clip of "Atlantis, Part 1: Apocalypse 1470 B.C.", taken from "Live In Tokyo", can be seen below.
In an interview with Prog Sphere, Portnoy stated about the new band, "It's a blast. I love Derek; he's a fun guy. I still stand by the fact that I'm not sure if he was ever right for DREAM THEATER. But, that doesn't mean I don't love the guy as a player and person. I
really do — I love being with him and I love playing with him and I'm
glad to be able to work with him again. And, you know, it's a cool
project because obviously it's very much… I think of everything I'm
doing it's the most like DREAM THEATER or it's more even like LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT, probably. But you know, it's just me being able to play that kind of music with some amazing musicians. Not only Derek, but, obviously, Billy Sheehan's a dear friend and I've got two different things going with Billy at the moment, and I love working with him; he's one of my favorite bass players of all time. And Tony MacAlpine is an amazing guitar player, so I'm honored to be playing with him as well."
Portnoy formed the lineup to perfom at two drum events at the NAMM show in January 2012. Due to overwhelming response, that band has decided to take their show on the road.