Thursday, July 21, 2011
Dream Theater News
"A Dramatic Turn Of Events", the much-anticipated album from progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER, which marks new drummer Mike Mangini's recorded debut, will be released on September 13 via Roadrunner Records.
The "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" deluxe collector's edition exclusive pre-order box set includes the following:
* "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" album
* Instrumentals of the entire album
* DVD of "The Spirit Carries On" – a 60-minute movie documenting DREAM THEATER's drummer auditions
* Double-LP set of "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" (180-gram vinyl in gatefold jacket)
* DREAM THEATER branded custom turntable slipmat
* Litho Print of album cover
* 50 lucky winners will find a DREAM THEATER "Ticket For Life" (randomly inserted)
* All content housed in a custom box
* Receive a digital download of the album the day before release
01. On The Backs Of Angels
02. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
03. Lost Not Forgotten
04. This Is The Life
05. Bridges In The Sky
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface
01. On The Backs Of Angels (instrumental)
02. Build Me Up, Break Me Down (instrumental)
03. Lost Not Forgotten (instrumental)
04. This Is The Life (instrumental)
05. Bridges In The Sky (instrumental)
06. Outcry (instrumental)
07. Far From Heaven (instrumental)
08. Breaking All Illusions (instrumental)
09. Beneath The Surface (instrumental)
You can now pre-order this set at this location.
In a recent interview with Revolver magazine, DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci stated about the departure of the band's drummer and founding member Mike Portnoy, "I love Mike. We've known each other for so long… I met him when I was, what, 17? We went to Berklee [College Of Music] together. We went through everything. He's an awesome guy.
"It was a heartbreaking chapter in our lives, but it's just one of those things in life where there's a big change, and you don't expect it, and what matters is the way face that change. You can embrace it or you can run from it. We just chose to move on."
On the topic of "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", Petrucci said, "It's everything that makes DREAM THEATER what it is. It's all our elements — metal elements, progressive elements, melodic elements, and all the playing and fusion elements we've always had. I try to stay pure to the initial conception of our band; we're a progressive band and we're a metal band, mixed.
"We always try to push some sort of boundary and do something that's a little bit different, some sort of element we haven't done before. You'll hear that for sure. You don't want to repeat yourself, but at the same time it's important to stay focused on what makes up the sound of the band.
"My favorite bands growing up were YES and RUSH, so 'Hemispheres', 'Close To The Edge', 'And You An I' — those big, dramatic songs are a huge part of what we do, married with the metal sound and melodic sound that makes us unique. That's always be there."